Horror movies as a genre have long been present at the time there was cinema. While some of them are not very good, there are some that play with our fears and stays in mind. There are all types of horror –some with monsters, horrific true incidents, ghost, evil spirits, etc. The list here presents the best horror movies of all time.
- The Shining: This movie is a masterpiece directed by Stanley Kubrick in 1980. Although many may not like the movie, it is still a good horror, meticulous and visually impressive. A psychological horror film based on Stephen King’s novel- The Shining, 1977. Jack Torrance takes up a winter job of a caretaker at an isolated hotel in Colorado with the hope that he will get to overcome his writer’s block. Settling with his wife and son. Jack discovers the hotel’s dark secret, and thing begins to unravel into a homicidal maniac.
- Nosferatu: A silent film directed by F.W.Murnau in 1922 made this Dracula a cinematic legend. Thomas Hutter is sent to the Castle of Transylvania to find a house for Count Orlok. Hutter sells the house next to his own to Count Orlok who is eager to buy because of Hutter’s beautiful. Hutter soon realises the true nature of Count Orlok but is locked away. He knows that his wife- Ellen is in imminent danger. Hutter struggles to escape the Transylvania castle which is located in the mountains so that he can save his wife.
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre directed by Tobe Hooper is an intense film. Sally along with her friends and her paraplegic brother sets out to their family’s old farmhouse but discovers that there are cannibalistic and murderous psychopaths that are after them. They are thrown into a never ending nightmare Turn by turn they are attacked by a crazy chainsaw wielding man who wears a mask made of human skin.
- The Exorcist: Directed by William Friedkin, The Exorcist 1973 is a disturbing and plain scary movie. It is one of the most successful horror movie ever made. In this movie Regan starts acting odd, her mother takes her for various medical treatment for her behaviour, but nothing explains it. As her behaviour reaches a critical point, she is tied to her bed. She starts to levitate and can speak I tongues. A priest is called to perform an exorcism for the girl who is seized by the devil.
- Psycho: Alfred Hitchcock directed this file in 1960. Marion Crane is on the run after stealing money from her boss. Running away she takes the back roads to go to California, exhausted after her log drive one night, she stops at a broken down motel called The Bates Motel managed by a quiet young man named Norman who seems to have a tough relationship with his mother and looked like he was dominated by his mother.